Croque Madame Recipe
- 4 slices of sourdough white bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices of cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons grated Gruyère
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Summer Lamb with Fennel and Roasted Nectarines
- Mussels Cooked with Cream, Chorizo, Garlic, and Flat-leaf Parsley
- Thyme-Herbed Soda Bread
- Hot Cross Buns
- Mini Guinness Chocolate Mousse
- Pesto Ricotta Tart Recipe
- Homemade Feta and Sun-Dried Tomato Sausages
- Easy Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
- Summer Fish Stew
My favorite place to eat Croque Madame or Monsieur (the difference being that the Monsieur is a closed sandwich while the Madame is open-faced) is in Café de Flore in St. Germain, in Paris. It’s a very simple, bistro-style café where the great artists and writers of Paris would come to share their thoughts.
Place the sliced bread under a broiler and toast one side. Remove from the broiler and butter the non-toasted side. Place half a slice of ham and a smear of Dijon mustard on each slice of bread. Top with equal amounts of grated Gruyère, then season with salt and pepper. Put back underneath the broiler until the cheese has melted.
Calories per serving:256 calories
Dietary restrictions:Balanced Sugar Conscious, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.