- M.F.K. Fisher born (1908)
Crispy Quinoa Bites
- 1/2 Cup quinoa
- 1/2 Cup black rice
- Cooking spray, for the muffin pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Cup finely chopped Vidalia onions
- 1 Cup dairy-free shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup fresh basil, chopped finely
- 1/3 Cup grape tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- 2 chives, chopped finely, for garnish
- 2 Cups homemade tomato sauce, for serving*
Ah, quinoa. How I love thee. I love your soft, fluffy texture. If you too love this darling quinoa seed, then I know you’ll love this recipe with tiny flecks of basil, onion, and chives. It’s the perfect touch that makes this recipe the best I’ve had in a long, long time.
I added dairy-free cheese to this recipe but you can use regular cheese if you prefer.
See all appetizer recipes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the quinoa and rice according to package directions. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa and rice with the remaining ingredients, except the chives and pasta sauce, and mix well to combine. Transfer the quinoa and rice mixture to the muffin pan. Using a tablespoon, fill each muffin cup to the top, then using a spatula, press down on the mixture to create a flat surface.
Bake until golden brown, for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 15 minutes. Using a teaspoon, gently remove the rice and quinoa snacks from the muffin cups. Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with the chives, and serve with the tomato sauce on the side.