Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing Recipe
Daily Value: 27%
|Folic Acid (B9)||76µg||19%|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||12g||0%|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||4g||0%|
Pairs Well With
Exclusive from The Daily Meal
This is one of Mark’s favorite stuffings. He loves to make stuffing and is very particular about it — he makes his own cornbread or sourdough bread, makes sure it’s not too sweet, and dries it just right so it doesn’t get mushy. The right Italian sausage is also a must — a little hot sausage with a bit of sweet sausage to balance it out.
He only makes it a few times a year and wants it all to himself. Believe us, you’ll find the results are well worth the effort, and we’ve found ourselves on many a night forgoing the silverware and hovering over this dinner, picking at the meat and stuffing until it was all gone. You can substitute sweet and hot turkey sausage for the Italian sausages, if you prefer.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1/2 cup Spanish onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup celery, peeled and chopped finely
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, crumbled
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups cornbread, dried and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups sourdough bread, dried and cut into ½-inch cubes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large, high-sided sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the sausages and sauté until cooked thoroughly, about 10 minutes. Add the herbs and cook for 1 more minute. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, remove from heat.
Place the bread in a large bowl and pour the sausage mixture over the bread. Mix well. Next, grease a casserole dish with some butter. Transfer all of the ingredients into the casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes, or until the top is brown and crispy.