How do you make sangria more festive for the fall? Throw in some apple cider! Instead of spiking your cider with rum or bourbon this holiday season, make this innovative sangria to liven up your party and your tastebuds. A Merlot or Cabernet with cinnamon tones is best in this drink.
Prep time: 35 minutes or more
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons brown sugar
3 cups apple cider
3 cups apple juice
1 1/2 cups red wine
4 ounces brandy
1. Put the cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar in a pitcher.
2. Add the wine, brandy and apple juice.
3. Cut the apples into cubes and stir into the pitcher.
4. Let the mixture refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes. The longer you refrigerate the sangria, the stronger the it will be.
5. Add the cider, stir and serve. For crowd pleasing presentation, decorate the rim of the glass with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon like you would salt on a margarita glass.