Now that it is officially November, we can all agree that hot chocolate season has finally begum. Admit it – we’ve all shamelessly searched for the perfect hot chocolate in a box, (William Sonoma’s Salted Caramel hot chocolate, anyone?) but none of them ever seems to taste right.
Fret not for we at Spoon have the solution to all your hot chocolate cravings – Chocolat Chaud. The French version of this classic winter treat calls for real melted chocolate and almond milk. Plus, you can easily make it in the microwave. To maximize utility, pair this recipe with a classic French movie or even use it to impress your friends with your expansive French vocabulary (it’s two words, but it still counts).
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Servings: 2 large mugs
1 ½ cup almond milk
100 grams semi-sweet baking chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped Cream (optional)
1. Heat almond milk in microwave or on stovetop.
2. Melt chocolate in microwave in small bursts of 15 seconds until chocolate is completely melted.
TIP for if you have a heatproof glass bowl: Fill a separate pot ¼ full of water. Bring to a boil and place a heat-proof glass bowl over the top. This will serve as a double boiler. Place chocolate in glass bowl and allow to melt.
3. Add vanilla extract into melted chocolate. Mixture will thicken slightly.
5. Add melted chocolate mixture to almond milk ¼ cup at a time and mix well.
6. Serve topped with marshmallows and whipped cream, if desired.
If you’re feeling especially adventurous, check out these ideas on how to further spice up your favorite winter drink.