- Fried Chicken Day
Chipotle Testing Craft Beer in Chicago
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Per Se Owes Workers $500,000 in Unpaid Service Charges, Says New York Attorney General
- Chuck E. Cheese’s, ‘Where a Kid Can Be a Kid,’ Hires Creative Agency to Help Attract More Adults
- Bakery That Refused Cake for Same-Sex Wedding Ordered to Pay Damages
- Black Seed Launches New Chef-Designed Bagels for Summer
- Sweetgreen Receives $35 Million in Funding to Open More Locations
A handful of Chipotle units are about to grab a few more coolness points, as the chain is launching a test of locally produced craft beers at some of its Chicago-area restaurants this month.
According to the Huffington Post, the 15 Chipotle units in Chicago will be offering beers by 5 Rabbit Cerveceria, a young, Chicago-based operation that describes itself as the country’s first Latin-themed craft brewery.
The brews to make the cut are the company’s 5 Rabbit, a golden ale described as simple and somewhat similar to Corona, and 5 Vulture, a dark ale with chiles and spices that’s been compared to Negra Modelo.
According to the Chicago Tribune, the Chipotle deal is the biggest audience the indie label has had, but founder Isaac Showaki said they do not anticipate a problem keeping up with demand. The company has a new brewery in Bedford Park, Ill., and expects to be producing there by the end of the year. Their goal is to hit 6,000 bottles in 2013.
Chipotle says if the 15-unit test does well the 5 Rabbit brews could be expanded to the rest of the Chicago stores, and other craft beer labels could get a shot as well.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts