- Sylvester (Crackers) Graham born (1794)
Chipotle Panko Jalapeño Poppers
- 1/2 Cup 2-percent cottage cheese
- 2 wedges queso fresco with chipotle spreadable cheese, such as Laughing Cow
- 1/4 Cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 Cup yellow onion, diced
- 12 jalapeños, halved and hollowed
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 Cups panko breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray
At just 60 calories per serving, these delectable jalapeño poppers are light on calories but not light on flavor. Panko breadcrumbs add a nice crunchy topping, and these make the perfect bite-sized snack for any tailgating party. Plus, they're fun to put together.
See all appetizer recipes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cottage cheese, spreadable cheese wedges, shredded Mexican cheese, and onion. Stir to mix well. Fill each jalapeño half with the cheese mixture; the filling should be flat and even with the top of each pepper.
Pour the egg whites and ½ cup of the panko breadcrumbs into separate bowls. Dip the bottom of each pepper into the egg white and then into panko breadcrumbs and place on the baking sheet. Take the remaining panko in the bowl plus the remaining ¼ cup and sprinkle on top of the filling.
Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and bake until very tender, for 30-40 minutes. (Shorter baking time will yield spicier poppers.)