- Ice Cream Month begins
- Blueberry Month begins
Chickpea Lettuce Wraps
- 1 Teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced thinly
- 8 Ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 Tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Sriracha
- 2 Teaspoons sambal oelek
- 1/2 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Teaspoon arrowroot*
- 12 Boston, bibb, or romaine lettuce leaves
Chickpeas and mushrooms are seasoned both spicy and sweet in this Asian-influenced wrap. The lettuce leaf brings the dish together and offers a refreshing crunch to balance the filling’s assertive flavors. This recipe comes to us from Lindsay of Running with Tongs.
See all wrap recipes.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and sauté until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add the chickpeas, hoisin sauce, Sriracha, sambal oelek, onion powder, and garlic powder, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and sauté until the chickpea mixture is bubbly and caramelized, for 3-4 minutes. Then, stir in the arrowroot. Fill the lettuce leaves with the chickpea mixture, fold together like a taco, and enjoy!
*Note: Arrowroot is a thickening agent found in the spice section of most grocery stores.