- Eid al Fitr(Ramadan ends)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated with a Microplane
- Pinch of red chile flakes, plus more to taste
- One 20-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 Chicken cutlets (or 2 chicken breasts sliced in half horizontally)
- Pinch of dried oregano
- One 8-ounce ball mozzarella, roughly torn
- 3/4 cups fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Cucumber Yogurt with Dill
- Grilled Beef Tenderloin Tips
- Baked Asparagus with Fried Egg and Dill
- Canned Tuna Open-Faced Sandwich
- Kale, Mango, and Avocado Salad
- Strawberry and Ricotta Appetizer
- Raw Artichoke, Lemon, and Parmesan Salad
- Strawberry, Cheddar, and Chive Spring Salad
- Halibut Cheeks with Meyer Lemon and Basil Vinaigrette
A cheesy, tomato sauce-covered comfort food, this recipe is best served with a side of pasta. This variation of the recipe is a little lighter than traditional chicken parmigiana but it's just as tasty (I promise).
In a wide, straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When hot, add the garlic and red chile flakes and cook until just before the garlic browns, about 1 minute. Then add the tomatoes, breaking them up with a spoon. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until it's reached your desired consistency and taste.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Season the chicken cutlets with salt, pepper, and the 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. In a heavy skillet or cast-iron pan, cook the chicken pieces (in batches if necessary) for about 2 minutes on each side. Then, in a baking pan, place a layer of the tomato sauce on the bottom. Add the chicken pieces, then top with a generous layer of mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and the breadcrumbs. Spoon the remaining tomato sauce on top, and add another layer of the Parmigiano if desired.
Cook in the oven for about 10-12 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the chicken has cooked through. Serve with a side of pasta if desired.