- Agoston Haraszthy born (1812)
At the Chef's Table: Wolfgang Puck Part 1
We sit down with the Spago chef to discuss his childhood inspirations and first job
Recipe of the day
- Michael Fassbender to Star in Marco Pierre White Movie
- Sandwich King Jeff Mauro Is Opening His First Restaurant Ever in Chicago
- New Orleans’ Chefs Prove Hurricane Katrina was No Match for the City’s Enduring Spirit
- Gail Simmons Dishes on the Upcoming 13th Season of ‘Top Chef’
- Michael Jackson’s Former Personal Chef Will Prepare Jackson’s Favorite Dishes in Honor of His Birthday
In our series "At the Chef's Table," we take a look at the careers of some of the greatest chefs in the business. In this month’s installment we are profiling Wolfgang Puck, the Los Angeles-based chef known for his many ventures that range from fine dining at Spago to airport dining at Wolfgang Express to his annual dinner for the Academy Awards.
In part one of the series we discuss Puck’s childhood and early inspirations. He discusses the role his mother, also a chef, played in his life, as well as his first, very difficult, apprenticeship. Today, he still draws inspiration from that period of his life: "You know what was so amazing, when I grew up, things happened which we think today are new," he says. "My mother picked all the vegetables from the garden, cooked them, and we ate them!"
For more from chef Puck, watch part one above and look for part two coming next Monday!
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts