Chefs Star in Miami Book Fair
Today on The Daily Meal
The 29th annual Miami Book Fair International kicks off Sunday, Nov 11. The eight day literary festival, which runs through Nov. 18 features authors, many of them chefs, from around the world. Part of The Center for Literature and Theatre at Miami-Dade College food, chef-authors, and live cooking demonstrations are part of the festivities.
During the Miami Book Fair, guests can learn secrets of the culinary trade as chefs like Hiroko Shimbo and Yvan Lemoine cook their recipes from their newly released cookbooks at a series called See, Learn, Eat. Chefs will also talk about their unique collection of recipes at Chefs and Their Books, a series of lectures which showcases Floridian talent including Key West native Norman Van Aken of Norman's.
The cooking demonstrations and talks are Nov. 17 to 18. Here is a schedule of the food and chef events at the Miami Book Fair from the festival's website.
Saturday, Nov. 17
- Noon: See, Learn, Eat: A Cooking Demonstration :Hiroko Shimbo on Hiroko’s American Kitchen: Cooking with Japanese Flavors
- 12:30 p.m.: The Chefs | Their Books: Maricel Presilla on Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America and Raquel Roque on The Cuban Kitchen
- 2 p.m.: The Chefs | Their Books: Norman Van Aken and Justin Van Aken on My Key West Kitchen: Recipes and Stories
- 2 p.m.: See, Learn, Eat: A Cooking Demonstration: Anne Byrn on Unbelievably Gluten-Free!
- 3:30 p.m.: The Chefs | Their Books: Alex Hitz on My Beverly Hills Kitchen: Classic Southern Cooking with a French Twist and Hedy Goldsmith on Baking Out Loud: Fun Desserts with Big Flavors
- 4 p.m.: See, Learn, Eat: A Cooking Demonstration: Raquel Roque on The Cuban Kitchen
- 7 p.m. Dinner with Norman Van Aken and Seamus Mullen
Sunday November 18
- 12:00 p.m.: See, Learn, Eat: Cooking Demonstration: Maricel Presilla on Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
- 12:00 p.m.: The Chefs | Their Books: Heather McPherson on Recipes Celebrating Florida, Liz Gutman and Jen King on The Liddabit Sweets Candy Cookbook and Yvan Lemoine on Comidas USA
- 1:30 p.m.: On Food: Barry Estabrook on How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit, Aaron Bobrow-Strain on White Bread: A Social History and Josh Schonwald on the Future of Food, with moderator Art Freidrich
- 2 p.m.: The Chefs | Their Books: Seamus Mullen on Seamus Mullen's Hero Food: How Cooking with Delicious Things Can Make Us Feel Better, Hiroko Shimbo on Hiroko's American Kitchen: Cooking with Japanese Flavors and Norman Van Aken on My Key West Kitchen
- 3 p.m.: See, Learn, Eat: Cooking Demonstration: Liz Gutman and Jen King on The Liddabit Sweets Candy Cookbook
- 4:30 p.m.: See, Learn, Eat: Cooking Demonstration: Yvan Lemoine on Comidas USA
Advance ticket purchase is required for many events and the price varies by event. All the reading presentations/cooking demos are free, with $8 admission (admission to the Fair is free for 12 & under; $5 for 13-18 and 62.
Amy Ferguson is the Miami Travel City Editor for The Daily Meal.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts