- Craig Claiborne born (1920)
Chef Aksel Theilkuhl Takes Over New York's STK Downtown
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- New Champion? Matt Stonie Beats Out Joey Chestnut Again by Scarfing 10.5 Pounds of Ribs
- Alice Waters, Chef and Food Activist, to Receive National Humanities Medal From President Obama
- Tyler Florence’s Advice for Aspiring Food Truck Owners
- Chef Profile: A Voce Madison’s Davide Venturini
- New England Dunkin’ Donuts to Offer Judge Free Coffee for Life Following Tom Brady’s Suspension Lift
Under Theilkuhl’s direction, the restaurant will add new menu items for the first time in its existence, including selections of Wagyu beef and a hamachi crudo with apple, hearts of palm, and a honey lemon vinaigrette. Other new dishes to STK Downtown are burrata and prosciutto with herb pesto, smoked pine nuts, and watercress, as well as a spiced duck breast with duck confit and Brussels sprouts hash.
Theilkuhl says his inspiration stems from old-school French chefs, and he likes simple food, focusing on cooking things properly rather than having excessive garnishes. Although he’s adding plenty of new food to the menu, he has already developed a love for STK’s bread — baked in-house — calling it "some of the best bread in New York City."
When Theilkuhl's not at his own restaurant, his New York culinary favorites include the famous halal cart on 53rd Street and Sixth Avenue, Eleven Madison Park, and JoJo, and he says he prefers small neighborhood restaurants in the East Village and the Upper East Side.
So, it seems like Theilkuhl’s move to New York City won’t be too much of a culinary burden, at least. After all, who could hate being surrounded by all of their favorite restaurants?
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts