Champagne Margarita Recipe
- Zest of 1 lime, finely grated, plus ½ for moistening the glass rims
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup Cointreau
- 1 cup 100% agave silver tequila, preferably Cazadores, Herradura, or Tres Generaciones
- Superfine sugar, if needed, for added sweetness
- Salt, for rimming the glasses
- 1 bottle chilled brut Champagne or other sparkling white wine
- Tiny Tostadas of Smoky Chicken Tinga with Avocado and Aged Cheese
- Grilled Corn and Poblano Guacamole
- Oaxacan-Style Peanuts with Chile and Garlic
- Frontera’s Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
- Guacamole with Bacon, Grilled Ramps (or Green Onions), and Roasted Tomatillos
- Racy Eggplant Omelettes with Savory Red Chile
- Mellow Red Chile Salsa with Sweet Garlic and Roasted Tomatoes
- Swiss Chard Tacos with Caramelized Onion, Fresh Cheese, and Red Chile
- Chipotle-Glazed Ham with Cherry-Jicama Salsa Recipe
I love Champagne with a steely tang that brings all my taste buds alive, that makes anyone’s mood a good one — and that makes me hungry for a few salty nuts or practically any rich mouthful. Same goes, at least for me, when it comes to margaritas: tangy is enlivening, sweet really isn’t.
And, if you put the two together — a bracing Champagne and a limey margarita — you’ve got what I’d consider the best of both sides of the Atlantic.
In a pitcher, combine the lime zest, lime juice, Cointreau, and tequila. Taste the base; if you like the bracing flavor (it will be quite tart), leave the mixture as is; if it’s too tart for you, stir in a little superfine sugar. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
To serve, strain the mixture to remove the zest. Moisten the rims of eight 6-ounce champagne glasses with the cut side of the lime half. Spread coarse salt on a small plate, and then dip the glasses into the salt to crust the rims. Fill each glass half way with the margarita base (it’ll take a generous 1/3 cup). Slowly fill the rest of the way with Champagne or sparkling wine, then hand to one of your lucky guests.
Calories per serving:220 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Fat Fat Free, Low Fat Abs, Sugar Conscious, Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, No Oil Added