Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe
- ½ pound of bacon, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup pale ale, room temperature
- Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
A signature dish of Le Cellier, this rich and creamy cheese-based soup is a guest favorite.
While you can serve this as an appetizer, it is so rich and delicious it can also stand alone as a meal, along with a side of crusty bread and a hearty salad.
Adapted from the Le Cellier Steakhouse at Epcot World Showcase at Walt Disney World Resort, Fla.
Cook bacon in a 4 or 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Add onion, celery, and butter; sauté until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium. Add flour and stir constantly for about 4 minutes.
Whisk in chicken stock and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add milk and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. Do not boil after adding milk.
Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, Tabasco, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper until cheese is melted and soup is smooth. Stir in ale. If soup is too thick, thin to desired consistency with warm milk.
Serve hot, garnished with scallions or chives.
Calories per serving:771 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Carb Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, No Sugar Added