Braised Lamb Stew
- 1 ground cumin
- 1 turmeric
- 1 hot paprika
- 1/2 cayenne
- 1/2 cardamom (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 boneless leg of lamb or shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces, at room temperature
- 8 pearl onions, peeled
- 1 peeled and sliced carrots, in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 water or broth
- 26 chopped tomatoes, preferably Pomi brand
- Cucumber Yogurt with Dill
- Grilled Beef Tenderloin Tips
- Baked Asparagus with Fried Egg and Dill
- Canned Tuna Open-Faced Sandwich
- Kale, Mango, and Avocado Salad
- Strawberry and Ricotta Appetizer
- Raw Artichoke, Lemon, and Parmesan Salad
- Strawberry, Cheddar, and Chive Spring Salad
- Halibut Cheeks with Meyer Lemon and Basil Vinaigrette
After receiving a new Dutch oven for Christmas (yay!), I was excited to put it to use with this easy stew. Feel free to add other herbs like rosemary or thyme to it and vegetables like chickpeas or beans, but this lamb stew is delicious as is.
Because of my love for tomatoes, I decided to use that as my braising liquid instead of broth. It still has a fair amount of acidity and some sweetness, which was enhanced by the carrots. We served it with crispy potatoes, but it would also work well with rice, couscous, or boiled potatoes.
In a mixing bowl, combine the spices and 2 tablespoons of olive oil (it will feel like a paste). Add the lamb and coat thoroughly with the spice mixture. Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and when hot, brown the lamb, working in batches so you don’t crowd the pan.
When you’ve finished browning the lamb on all sides, add the onions and carrots to the pan with the water. Cook until the water has mostly burned off, stirring and scraping off any brown bits on the bottom. Add the tomatoes and the lamb and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down until you reach a bare simmer and cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours, or until the lamb is falling apart and tender, stirring occasionally.
Calories per serving:3,480 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber, Low Carb Paleo, Specific Carbs, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added