In an effort to recreate this simple, heavenly scoop of sorbet, we modified this Epicurious recipe by throwing in freshly picked basil leaves, chopped and pureed with blueberries and boiled simple sugar. The result? An icy, indulgent sorbet that feels guilt-free.
Tip: keep a floss pick near. The blueberry seeds can be pesky.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: At least 3 hours in the freezer
Total Time: 3 hours and 15 minutes
6 basil leaves
2 cartons of fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about half a lemon)
1. In a medium saucepan, boil the sugar, water and salt to make a simple syrup mixture. Allow to cool for 15 minutes after boiling.
2. While the syrup is cooling, squeeze lemon juice to add to the blender.
3. Chop the basil leaves to add to the blender.
4. Puree the blueberries, lemon juice, basil and simple syrup in a blender or food processor.
5. Freeze for at least 3 hours (or as desired) then enjoy.
More treats to keep you cool: