BLT Chicken Salad
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 slices applewood-smoked bacon, cooked to a crisp and crumbled into ½-inch bits, bacon fat reserved
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup baby spinach or lettuce, chiffonaded
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
- Harvest Kale Salad with Honey-Miso Dressing
- Garlic Ginger Chicken Wings
- Maple-Bacon Salmon
- Slow-Cooked Short Ribs
- Perfect Soft-Boiled Eggs with Toast Soldiers
- Merguez, Kale, and Sweet Potato Frittata
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookie
- Green Beans Almondine
- Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pinenuts and Cherries
Growing up, there was a local market in my hometown that had this BLT chicken salad that we'd get made into sandwiches or packed alone into half pints, even by the quart container if we were having friends over for lunch and short on time.
Sweet and moist roast chicken is tossed with salty and crisp bacon, then combined with juicy tomatoes and crisp green lettuce. Toss it with mayo, or do as I did and toss it with a bit of bacon fat for added depth of flavor and ease. Serve it atop a bed of greens with scones for a ladies lunch, or pack it between slices of toasted multigrain bread for a healthy, hearty lunch that is sure to satisfy.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Season the skin side of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper and bake for about 30 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked through. Cool completely.
Tear chicken meat off bone, including skin, if desired. Toss with torn bacon, halved tomatoes, lettuce, and a bit of bacon fat, or mayonnaise, if desired, to combine. Season to taste. Serve immediately.
Calories per serving:500 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Carb Sugar Conscious, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Oil Added, No Sugar Added