Blood Orange Margarita Recipe
- Juice of 2 limes (about ¼ cup juice)
- Juice of 2 blood oranges (about ¼ juice)
- ½ cup triple sec
- ½ cup Tequila, preferably 100% agave
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Salt, for rimming
- Harvest Kale Salad with Honey-Miso Dressing
- Garlic Ginger Chicken Wings
- Maple-Bacon Salmon
- Slow-Cooked Short Ribs
- Perfect Soft-Boiled Eggs with Toast Soldiers
- Merguez, Kale, and Sweet Potato Frittata
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookie
- Green Beans Almondine
- Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pinenuts and Cherries
This recipe is derived from my dad’s amazing margaritas. During the summer, he’s the margarita-maker. I don’t know what he does, but I can never seem to recreate the slightly-tart, slightly-sweet, and oh-so-easy-to-drink cocktail he creates. Here, I sub half the lime juice for blood orange juice. Just remember: The key to the recipe is equal parts juice to triple sec to tequila.
I’ve dabbled with using both triple sec and Grand Marnier in the drink. I find a smoother taste comes from using good-quality triple sec (not the $5 stuff in the grocery store). And NEVER use anything but fresh lime juice — preferably from room temperature limes.
This recipe calls for serving the margarita up, but you can also serve it over rocks. A salt rim is up to you... But forgetting the Chunky Guacamole with chips is a crime.
In a shaker, combine the juice, triple sec, and tequila. Add ice and shake well. Set aside.
Coat the rims of 4 martini glasses with lime and rim with salt. Pour in margarita and serve.
Calories per serving:224 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Fat, Low Sodium Fat Free, Low Fat Abs, Kidney Friendly, Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, No Oil Added
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.