Bizarre New Food Products
Recipe of the day
- Betty Crocker Rainbow Chip Frosting Returns After Passionate Fan Petition
- ConAgra Agrees to Plead Guilty, Pay $11.2 Million for Peter Pan Peanut Butter Salmonella Outbreak
- Taco Bell Will Introduce the Quesalupa to Menus Nationwide
- Man Sues Blue Bell for Listeria-Contaminated Product That Allegedly Caused ‘Profound Brain Damage’
- New Magical Millennial Tic Tacs Change Flavor in Your Mouth
Every so often manufacturers invent food products that make the general public wonder how they ever lived without them. Other times these products make us wonder what in the heck the inventors were thinking. These new products fall into the latter category:
• Nestlé Releases a Coffee-Style Machine for Baby Formula: Using the same technology as its Nespresso single-serve coffee machines, Nestlé has created a new system that heats single-servings of baby formula to the perfect temperature in less than a minute. The system is currently available exclusively in Switzerland.
• Candwich, Canned Sandwiches: Mark One Foods has released their new addition to the world of novelty lunch products, the Candwich. Currently the sandwich in a can is available only in peanut butter and grape jelly flavor; however the company plans to release peanut butter with strawberry jelly, and BBQ chicken varieties in the near future.
• Zany Products Debut at 2011 Sweets and Snacks Expo: Caffeinated sunflower seeds, fizzing hot chocolate tablets, and popcorn glue are just a few of the off-the-wall products introduced at this year’s Sweets and Snacks Expo. Liquid candy “sippers” packaged in miniature bottles and Sleep Squares chocolate designed to help consumers fall asleep were also available.
• Heston Blumenthal Tests Mustard Ice Cream: British chef Heston Blumenthal of The Fat Duck teamed up with Waitrose to release what they hope will be the flavor of the summer, hot mustard. The product, which is set to hit supermarket shelves next month, contains Pommery grain mustard.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts