Beet and Wheat Berry Salad
- 3 golden beets, greens reserved
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup dry wheat berries
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Corny Bean Dip
- Herby Pesto Pasta Salad with Chard
- Quinoa with Swiss Chard and Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette
- Ginger Coconut Lentil Soup Recipe
- Cranberry and Walnut-Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
- Quinoa with Mustard Greens and Chickpeas Recipe
- Lemon-Almond and Smoked Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
- Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce Recipe
- Baked Banana Oatmeal Recipe
Here’s a super easy and healthy salad with fresh roasted beets and wheat berries to keep you satisfied. If possible, find beets with the greens intact, usually at farmers markets.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Loosely wrap the beets in foil and place on a baking sheet. Rub the sweet potato with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Coat with the cinnamon and cayenne. Place the sweet potato on the same baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Bake for 45 minutes and remove from the oven. Let the beets cool, then peel and chop them.
Meanwhile, combine the wheat berries with the water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes, until tender.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat, and add the beet greens with 1 clove garlic. Cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Combine the beets, sweet potato, wheat berries, greens, and sunflower seeds in a bowl. Combine the syrup, vinegar, mustard, remaining garlic, salt, and pepper in a jar. Shake to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately.