- Dave "Wendy's" Thomas born (1932)
U.K. Highway Covered in Blanket of Mashed Potatoes
Twitter/ITVNewsA mashed potato spill stopped traffic along a British highway.
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Going Beyond Meat: How One Company’s Meatless Meat Appeals to Carnivores
- What Is Cheetos Cheese Dust? And 8 Other Junk Food Mysteries Solved
- Ben & Jerry’s Renames Cookie Dough Ice Cream ‘I Dough, I Dough’ to Celebrate Marriage Equality Decision
- Judge’s Ruling May Kill Sysco-US Food Merger
- Would You Bathe with Beer? One Brand Hopes You Will
Traffic along a British highway came to a complete stop this weekend after a truck accident left it completely covered in mashed potatoes yesterday.
According to Gawker, the highway in North Yorkshire was blocked in both directions yesterday afternoon because a truck accidentally overturned and dumped its entire load of instant mashed potato mix all over the pavement. The spill caused unsafe driving conditions when the instant potato mix started expanding into mashed potatoes, because cars apparently do not drive well over a terrain of slippery mashed potatoes.
"Instant mash is covering the road and cars have skidded as a result of the mash swelling up," a police spokesperson said.
Police initially brought in a chemical treatment to try to freeze the mashed potatoes for easier clean up, but that did not work very well. The fire department was called out later to try to blast the mashed potatoes off the road with high-powered hoses, which turned out to be more effective. The highway was reopened last night, and nobody was reported to be injured because of either the initial accident or the subsequent potato-related driving problems.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts