8 Beers to Drink on St. Patrick’s Day
Today on The Daily Meal
- Guinness Is Not the Most Popular Beer on St. Patrick's Day
- 6 Beer Alternatives to Guinness on St. Patrick's Day
- The Best Craft Beer and Irish Food Pairings for St. Patrick's Day
- Everyone Will Be Drinking Guinness This St. Patrick's Day (Whether They Like It or Not)
- 3 Guinness Cocktails for St. Patrick's Day
For fans of great brews, it’s admittedly a little worrisome that Googling "St. Patrick’s Day Beer" instantly returns a rash of images and links to neon-green pints.
St. Patrick's Day is arguably one of the greatest beer-drinking holidays, and it’s a shame that its most iconic drink has become cheap, light beer spiked with green dye. Interestingly enough, however, the earliest references to green beer have nothing to do with St. Patrick’s Day or the color green; rather, the term was used to describe beer that had not been sufficiently aged. It is not until the early 20th century that mentions of green-dyed beer come up in association with the holiday.
While the none-too-appetizing St. Patty’s Day beverage seems to be here to stay, that doesn’t mean you can’t buck tradition this holiday and celebrate with great-tasting beers that tip their hat to the Emerald Isle’s great brewing history.
From dry stouts and red ales to lagers and cream ales, here are eight Irish and Irish-style beers too good to turn green.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts