- Lorenzo Delmonico born (1881)
7 Superstar Chefs and Their Biggest Failures
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- New England Dunkin’ Donuts to Offer Judge Free Coffee for Life Following Tom Brady’s Suspension Lift
- Chef Rudy Correa: A Rising Star at the Jersey Shore
- Indianapolis Chef Offers $500 for the Safe Return of His Favorite Knife
- Alton Brown on Food Culture and Its Flaws: Loving Food ‘Doesn’t Make You Special’
- Teen Chef Opens His First Restaurant with $160 Tasting Menu, Sparks Anger in Chef Community
As anyone who works in a restaurant will tell you, it isn't easy. If you’re a young chef just starting out, opening a restaurant to call your own can be a Herculean task. And even if you’re a chef with the benefit of having a household name, just because your name is attached to a restaurant doesn’t guarantee its success. We tracked down seven of the country's most well-known chefs and rounded up the restaurants they were attached to that didn’t quite make it in the long run.
Restaurants fail for a host of different reasons: the rent goes up, sales go down, a bad review gets published, the competition increases, a new menu goes awry. The chef in the kitchen isn’t always an owner, but in all of these cases a high-profile chef opened a high-profile restaurant, and it didn;t go nearly as well as planned. We're not saying that the failure is their fault; sometimes even restaurants owned by high-profile chefs can fall victim to a bad economy, poor location, or one of the many other reasons why restaurants close.
For those looking to gain a foothold as a professional chef, it’s good to know that even the country’s most renowned chefs have, on occasion, struck out. But getting back on your feet after you’ve been knocked down is the key to success in any field. From Paul Prudhomme to Michael Symon, from Gordon Ramsay to Scott Conant, just about every chef you can imagine has had their share of failures. Click here to learn about seven chefs and their seven biggest strikeouts.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts