- Craig Claiborne born (1920)
5 Tastes of Toronto
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- This Restaurant Made a Trump Burger to Celebrate the UK’s National Burger Day
- Which Mayonnaise-Heavy Condiment is Called ‘American Sauce’ in Germany?
- This Pastrami Ice Cream Sandwich Turns the New York Deli Staple on Its Head
- 101 Best Food Trucks in America 2015
- Four & Twenty Blackbirds: Why Brooklyn is Their Home
Even before local food took off as a restaurant menu inspiration, Toronto was home to some of the province’s (even the country’s) iconic ingredients and tastes. The St. Lawrence Market has been recognized as one of the world’s best fresh markets for serving the best regional produce, as well as being the birthplace of the famous Peameal Bacon sandwich (a quintessential Canadian treat).
Like the market, some of these establishments have been around for decades, while others have just joined the Toronto scene. Each place puts a strong emphasis on the importance of creating authentic Canadian cuisine in its own way, whether this means sustaining classics or pushing the known culinary boundaries.
If you’re looking for a genuine taste of the city, region, or country the next time that you’re in Toronto, then we suggest the following five spots. We can’t guarantee that the farm-to-table menus will include some of our suggestions, but from the menu to the location, we can assure a one-of-a-kind experience.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts