- Nathan Myhrvold born (1959)
21 Jaw-Dropping Wedding Cakes
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- A Grande Affair to Remember: Barista Marries Former Customer at Starbucks
- 5 Budget-Friendly Recipe Tips for an Outdoor Summer Engagement Party
- Last-Minute Tips on Hosting Your Outdoor Wedding Reception
- Top Planning Tips for Hosting a Destination Wedding
- 5 Healthy Dishes to Serve During Your Summer Engagement Party
Wedding cakes are a rite of passage for any newlywed couple. On the big day, the cake is sliced and admired, and a year later, the couple breaks out the leftovers to celebrate their first anniversary. Though the ritual remains, the appearance of a wedding cake has not stayed the same. In recent years, the classic three-tiered tower with all the bridal fixings has taken a turn… for the crazy.
While the quintessential tiered tradition is always accepted and still seen at many weddings, it’s the creative, out-of-the-box cakes that are catching everyone's attention. These extravagant confections come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, depending on the couple’s hobbies, interests, and themes.
With shows like Cake Boss, Top Chef: Desserts, and Ace of Cakes taking over the airwaves, it's nearly impossible for viewers and engaged couples alike to not want to take their cakes to the next level. With that, we present this list of 20 odd-ball, outrageous, horrifying, and truly original wedding cakes. View it for inspiration or entertainment, but let it serve as an example of what a little imagination and a lot of sugar can do.
Let them eat wedding cake — on with the list!
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts