11 Fabulous (Gay) Wedding Cakes
Today on The Daily Meal
- Gay Couple Presses Charges Against the Bakery that Refused to Make Them a Wedding Cake
- 15 Fabulous Gay Wedding Cakes and Cake Toppers
- Same-sex marriage advocates pick Starbucks as spot for 'Equality Day'
- Religious Right Attacks Starbucks for Gay Rights Support
- Betty Crocker Donates Cakes to First Gay Couples Married in Minnesota
Currently, 13 of the 50 United States recognize same-sex marriage as legal and perform the ceremony, and many more are in the process of determining where they stand with regard to the issue.
And with wedding ceremonies, often, comes cake—traditionally frosted in white, adorned with flowers, and maybe balancing a tiny couple in black and white on its top layer.[slideshow:
But because same-sex marriage is only recently legal in some states and still yet to be legalized in the majority of the country, same-sex couples are creating marriage traditions as they go. As a result, many couples are bucking traditional cake styles and going the way of colorful cakes in unusual flavors and finished with unique cake toppers.
This is true for straight couples as well as for gay couples; regardless of who is getting married, there are cakes that are really stunning, some that are classic, some that are funky, some that are strange. The only thing that really distinguishes a same-sex couple’s cake from an opposite-sex couple’s cake is that the figurines atop one are both women.
Here are 11 Fabulous (Gay) Wedding Cakes, many of which were in fact served at the weddings of same-sex couples.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts