Zack Oliver’s Jambalaya
When we interviewed NU football player Zack Oliver for our fall magazine, we discovered he is much more than a college quarterback — he is quite the cook. Raised in Baton Rouge, La., he loves the southern comfort food he grew up eating. Here is Zack’s recipe for one of his signature dishes and a cajun favorite: jambalaya. Just one bite and maybe you’ll be throwing like a Big Ten quarterback.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 people (2 football players?)
1 pound beef sausage, sliced
1 pound chicken, cooked
1 can French onion soup
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup beef broth
Oak Grove Smokehouse Cajun Dirty Rice
1. Brown sausage in a pan over medium heat, then drain grease.
2. Pull cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces using your hands or two forks.
3. Add soup and both broths into a large pot, and bring to a boil.
4. Add cooked sausage and pulled chicken to soup-broth mixture.
5. Add the rice.
6. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
7. Remove from heat, and let sit for a few minutes prior to serving.