Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Landmark, Memorial Site
- President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War and celebrate those who served.
- The memorial currently consists of three separate parts: the Three Soldiers statue, the Vietnam Women's Memorial & the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, where over 58,000 names are engraved.
- Nurses played an important part in war.
- Be proud of our soldiers
- Rolling Thunder Ride For Freedom ends at the Vietnam Memorial. A truly incredible event. The Saluting Marine, a big part of Rolling Thunder, has a great story.
- Do not just walk by it and say this is another monument. Stop and look at your image and imagine that you are part of the wall. Do it you will understand!
- Don't touch or move the memorials placed at the foot of the wall. These pieces are preserved and cataloged by the Smithsonian for "The Price We Pay" Exhibit at the Museum of American History.
- Designed by Maya Lin and completed in 1982, the two black granite walls are 2469 long. Names on the walls are of servicemen KIA or MIA listed in chronological order. See video for more info.
- Very worthwhile monument to visit. It makes you realize how much was sacrificed.
- A place of honor for those who gave all. Semper-Fi Brothers!
- Nothing can describe the feeling
- All I could say was 'thank you' as I passed by the names of the bravest soldiers in the world.
- Designed by Maya Lin while a student at Yale (for which she received a 'B'). More than 150K objects have been left here over yrs including Harley Davidson and tiger cage. Full site history here<LINK>
- Take your kids no matter how they may grumble.
- 59,272 names on the wall.
- Quietly stand a moment and take it all in
- Thank you to all
- An amazing and somber memorial reminding us that freedom is not always free.
- The black granite wall was constructed as a place of healing and reconciliation for the families, friends and supporters of the more than 58,000 slain or missing soldiers.
- You can't visit this site and NOT be moved. If you have friends/family on 'The Wall' be sure to grab a pencil and paper to "rub off" their names.