Vegetable Bean Soup Recipe
Admittedly, it’s not the prettiest vegetable dish. But, I swear to you, it tastes and smells a lot better than it looks. I guess the dried red kidney bean was sort of an unfortunate choice (color-wise), so feel free to substitute another kind of dried bean for this soup if purplish-brown doesn’t do it for you.
- 20 ounces dried red kidney beans
- 1 3/4 quart chicken stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes
- Salt and cayenne, to taste
- Warm crusty bread, for serving
Add the first 7 ingredients to an 8-quart stockpot and cover with a lid. Season with salt and cayenne, to taste. Cook over medium heat until the beans are tender, about 1 ½ hours. Remove from heat. Serve immediately with a side of warm crusty bread.