Boat / Ferry, Landmark, History Museum
Charlestown Navy Yard (at Constitution Rd)
Boston, MA 02129
- Built in Boston and launched in 1797, this is the oldest commissioned warship still afloat. In the early 1800s, the 44-gun Constitution fought Barbary pirates off the coast of North Africa.
- OK, I am a naval history buff and ex-Navy guy myself but still, a visit to this historic ship (old ironsides) is time well spent when you're in Boston.
- During the War of 1812, British cannonballs bounced off the ships oaken hull, earning it the nickname Old Ironsides. It later made its first around-the-world journey in 1846. (From Aerial America)
- Make sure you have a photo ID or passport, they check before boarding the boat.
- The USS Constitution is the oldest active warship in the world. Free tours are moderated by US sailors, and are available daily.
- You have to go through the metal detectors
- It's only open from Th - Sunday so don't waste your time stopping by on a M-W.
- Come in the winter during bad weather when no one is there and you might get a special tour behind the scenes. If in the summer come early on like a Tuesday
- boat not boardable on mondays
- You're almost finished! After visiting Old Ironsides, finish the Freedom Trail by walking the last half mile to the Bunker Hill Monument.
- Till this day in over 200 years, Old Ironsides has never lost a battle. #Undefeated #DefendBoston
- Once you go on a guided tour, the us govt makes it difficult to get off tg
- You must be here at sunset when they fire the cannon.....CE3 Brad Freeman
- Summer hours are normally 10am-6pm. Closed on Mondays.
- Don't sit down on the boat in white pants. Other than that it is well worth waiting for the guided tour.
- Take the tour!
- For the tourists call before going to see if the Navy will be doing onboard tours that day
- go on the guided tour - not just the self-guided tour
- Visit the USS Constitution and its museum. Its the oldest commissioned warship still afloat in the world, and its worth a visit.
- I will never get the time wasted on this back.