Tomato, String Bean, and Artichoke Salad
Loaded with fresh herbs, this is a refreshing summer salad when you've overdone the tomato and mozzarella thing. Adding day-old chunks of toasted bread brushed with olive oil makes it a great version of panzanella.
- 1/4 Pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/4 Pound yellow wax beans, ends trimmed
- 1/2 Cup red wine vinaigrette
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, preferably heirloom, cut into rough wedges
- 3 pieces artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 Teaspoon dry Greek oregano
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 Tablespoons chopped dill
- 16 leaves mint, torn
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Prepare an ice water bath and bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the beans until tender but still snappy, about 3 minutes, then shock them in the ice water bath. Drain well and dry on a clean towel.
In a bowl, combine the beans, vinaigrette, feta, tomatoes, oregano, red onion, cucumber, shallot, artichokes, and herbs. Toss well with clean hands. Taste and adjust the seasoning with kosher salt and pepper.