PointsPlus Tomato, Avocado, and Golden Beet Salad Recipe
The combination of beets and avocado make a perfectly balanced and delicious salad.
- ¾ pound golden beets, scrubbed, tops removed
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch wedges
- 1 medium avocado, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut in half and sliced into thin half moons
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
Place a medium-sized saucepan filled with water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the beets, bring back to a boil then reduce to medium heat. Simmer until the beets pierce easily with the point of a sharp knife, about 25 minutes.
Remove the beets from the pan and place under cold running water until cool enough to handle. Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler and cut into ½-inch wedges. Place the beets in a large salad bowl.
Add the tomato, avocado, onion, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Toss well to combine. Sprinkle with the basil and chives, and serve.