I cannot eat another hot dog. We have eaten so many hotdogs while sitting at the ball parks, watching my son’s baseball team play. Every game seems to span a meal time, and even if it didn’t, my bored girls would ask for a hot dog anyway. Every trip to the shoddy concession stand gives them a few minutes away from the tedium of baseball.
The girls would come back with limp hot dogs and smooshed buns. Condiments were always forgotten, which was a shame, as a blob of mustard would have been the only way to redeem those sorry looking hot dogs.
This summer I have purposely avoided grilling one single hot dog. My kids are sick of them, and so am I. Smoked sausage is a much better choice than a hot dog anyway, right? Smoked sausage is thick and juicer, and features so much more flavor than a hot dog. It is substantial, know what I mean? You can sink your teeth into a smoked sausage.
These sausage subs start with grilled sausage that is cut on the bias so it fits neatly in a sub roll. It is topped with sweet pineapple cubes, cool cucumbers, fresh and spicy jalapeño slices, and a sprinkling of cilantro.
But the best part is the sriracha ranch dressing that is drizzled on top. You get hit with so many flavors in each bite, you get a little smoke, a little sweet, a lot of spicy and cool crispness from the cucumber.
This sub beats the pants off any hot dog any day.
I think what I may have to do next season is skip the concession stand. It’s sort of rip off anyway. Next year I’ll invest in a little portable grill and bring a cooler full of all the fixings to make this easy sausage sub. No matter happens on the field, these subs will bring home the win!
- 1 7-ounce package smoked sausage
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
- 8 cucumber slicess, halved
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon sriracha chili sauce
- fresh cilantro
- 4 sub rolls
- Heat an outdoor grill or grill pan over medium heat.
- Add sausage to grill and cook for 5 minutes or until marks appear.
- Remove and cut sausage on the bias into 8 equal parts.
- Place two pieces of sausage into 4 hot dog buns.
- Top each sausage with pineapple chunks and four cucumber halves.
- In a small bowl combine ranch dressing and Sriracha.
- Drizzle mixture over sausage subs.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired.