This scrumptious Sweet & Sour Chicken is sure to become one of your favorite recipes. It only requires one large skillet and does not require any frying. The chicken has a nice mellow crunch to it and is moist and tender on the inside. The sauce is not overly sweet which is perfect for bringing out the natural sweetness of the onions and peppers. I add just a couple pinches of crushed red pepper which balances the sweetness of the pineapple perfectly and adds just a touch of pizzazz.
You can pull this Sweet & Sour chicken together in about 30 minutes including prep time. It is a wonderful dish all by itself but you can serve it over rice or Chinese noodles. Pineapple is always delicious but don’t add too much. It can quickly overpower the dish.
Great one pot dinner that tastes like a million bucks. What more could you ask for?
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/4 lbs chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion large chop
- 1 green pepper seeded large chop
- 1 red pepper seeded large chop
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple large chop
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper
- Salt to taste
- Optional: Cooked Rice or Chinese noodles
- In small saucepan combine pineapple juice, water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. On low heat simmer until thickened; whisking frequently. Cover and remove from heat.
- In large Ziploc bag combine chicken and 1/3 cup cornstarch. Shake until coated. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken; shaking any access cornstarch off the chicken. Cook until nicely browned on all sides; about 7 minutes. Reduce heat if needed so chicken does not over brown or stick to the pan. Remove chicken to plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add peppers to skillet and cook for additional 3-4 minutes stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; add chicken back to pan with peppers and onions and cook for 1 minute. Add sauce to skillet, pineapple, red pepper and salt to taste. Gently stir to combine and heat until warmed. Serve over cooked rice or Chinese noodles.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Yummly Rich Recipes0.1http://www.smalltownwoman.com/sweet-and-sour-chicken/wk_bootstrap();
Other delicious recipes for you to try!
Spicy Beef & Pepper Stir Fry
Beef Lo Mein
The post Sweet and Sour Chicken appeared first on Small Town Woman.