There’s lots to love about warm cocktails like this spiked chai latte, but my favorite thing is how perfect they pair with a cozy night and a heartwarming holiday movie. This time of year, my DVR is packed full of holiday movies and I look forward to the nights when I get to settle in with my favorite quilt, turn on a movie, and sip on something cozy and delicious.
Now, when I talk about holiday movies, I’m talking about the corny made-for-TV specials that dominate Lifetime, Hallmark, and ABC family. You know the ones. The main character has a heart that is made of stone until they meet the person of their dreams who opens their eyes to the wonders of the season. They’re all the same, but I simply can’t get enough of them.
I admit that they’re my holiday weakness.
Another weakness of mine is a festive holiday cocktail. I am so loving all of the incredible 12 Days of Cocktails that are being shared! I am bookmarking every single one, particularly the hot ones. There is just something about sipping a hot nightcap that makes my heart happy.
This spiked chai latte is not difficult to make, but takes a little forethought. First of all, the spices are some that you might not have readily on hand, but the great thing is, you can mix and match the spices that you do have. One of the most important of the spices to use to get the chai flavor that you’re looking for is the green cardamom pods. Other than that, use any combination of cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries, peppercorns, fennel seeds, ginger, and star anise that you like or have on hand.
I used simple black tea to steep with the spices to make a chai concentrate. The mixture itself is very strong when brewed, and needs to be sweetened with the honey and mixed with milk for the perfect balance of flavors.
And of course, you can’t forget the bourbon! A great bourbon mixes with the spices and creamy milk to create a very luxurious beverage worthy of any cold winter evening.
- 6 cups water
- 4 black tea bags
- 4-5 star anises
- 3 coins fresh ginger
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon green cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- Combine water, black tea bags, star anise, fresh ginger, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, black peppercorns, whole cloves, and fennel seeds in a medium saucepan.
- Set pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and allow mixture to barely simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain out solids.
- 3/4 cup homemade chai concentrate, hot
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 ounce bourbon
- 1/4 cup whole milk, steamed with foam for topping
- Pour 3/4 cup of homemade chai concentrate into a heat proof mug.
- Stir in honey until dissolved. Stir in bourbon.
- Pour milk into mug and spoon milk froth on top.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Le Creuset 3-quart Stainless Steel Saucepan
Le Creuset Revolution Spatula