One of the hub’s favorite thing to order when we do takeout is to get a smothered burrito. Which is basically a loaded up burrito that is literally smothered in a flavorful sauce, kind of like an enchilada, but much bigger!
And seriously… is there anything more comforting than classic Tex Mex food??
This burrito is loaded up with a mixture of ground beef, beans and cheese. Simple yet hearty and filling. The best part? This meal is completely customizable. You can load your burrito up with your favorite filling!
The ground beef is cooked and then mixed with a homemade taco seasoning and some tomato sauce. I used some Homemade Refried Beans, but to save time you can always use a canned version. And tons of melty, gooey cheddar cheese. These are also wonderful loaded up with some Mexican Rice.
The chili gravy that is used to smother these burritos is the same sauce that I use when I make enchiladas. It’s a recipe that comes from Robb Walsh in The Tex Mex Cookbook. This sauce is the heart of great Tex Mex food. Spicy, flavorful, and completely addicting. I have made this sauce so many times because I use it on EVERYTHING!
This recipe makes enough to make 8 burritos. I have a large family, so this is perfect for family dinner. So definitely feel free to cut the recipe in half. To bake the burritos, lay them in a large dish, pour the sauce over top, sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered.
If you need to prep these ahead of time you can make the burritos, place them in the dish and just cover and keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake. Then prior to baking spread the sauce on top, sprinkle the cheese and bake.
For the Beef:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
For the Chili Gravy:
- 1/4 cup butter, or shortening
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups beef broth, or water
For the Burritos:
- 8 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 16-ounce cans refried beans, or can use homemade refried beans
For the Optional Toppings:
- fresh tomato
- sour cream
- Prepare the ground beef by cooking in a large skillet over medium heat until completely cooked through, no longer pink. Drain the grease and return to stove over low heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients, tomato sauce and seasonings. Stir to combine. Allow to cook over low heat for another 2-3 minutes then remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the Chili Gravy by heating a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and cook until melted. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add in the seasonings and stir to combine.
- Slowly pour in the broth while stirring. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until sauce is thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Assemble the burritos by layering about 1/4 cup refried beans slightly off center in the tortilla. Leave at least a 1 inch border to the edge of the tortilla. Top with about 1/4 cup of the cooked ground beef. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Roll the tortilla over and fold in the edges so that a burrito is formed. Lay in a large baking dish.
- Continue until all burritos are formed.
- Spoon the chili gravy over the top. Sprinkle with additional cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 15-20 minutes until all cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, serve, add additional toppings if desired and enjoy!