I happen to have a love affair with butter. It smothers my potatoes, gives soft body to my baked goods, lends a creaminess to brittle bread and makes my steaks glossy. I’m the type of person that likes bread with my butter —the bread is simply the vehicle for my beloved dairy product to shine. While part of the beauty is butter’s predictable simplicity, sometimes I like to mix it up —let butter be the blank canvas.
Here are three butters to get you started:
Rosemary Butter: Excellent on all types of potatoes, grilled meat and poultry, seafood, toast or warm rolls.
Chili Butter: Divine on corn, green beans and any steamed green.
Cinnamon Sugar Butter: Try on bagels and toasts, sweet potatoes or as a topping for oatmeal.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Freeze Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: depends on how heavy your hand is with butter…
1. Let your butter soften by leaving it out at room temperature.
2. Chop your herbs if using.
3. Fold in rosemary for rosemary butter, dashes of chili flakes for a spicy butter, and pinches of cinnamon and sugar for a sweet one.
4. Use a fork to mash each ingredient in.
5. Wrap in plastic wrap, freeze for 30 minutes to firm up.
6. Use as you please and keep in the fridge.