Now that the holidays are over, most people are thinking about resolutions, but those never seem to work very well for me. I'm all about moderation. This small batch recipe fits my New Year’s needs perfectly because it makes only five cookies. It's a super simple one bowl, no mixer required recipe that comes together quickly, and you won't feel (that) bad about eating the whole batch.
Since this recipe is vegan, the eggs are replaced with tapioca flour. If you can't find tapioca flour, you can replace it with cornstarch. I made it both ways and found that the cornstarch made a cookie with a slightly crisper exterior than one with tapioca flour.
Chopped chocolate and chocolate chips behave differently in cookies, so I used a combination of both. The chocolate chips retain their shape while the chopped chocolate creates melty pockets of gooey chocolate, and my ideal cookie contains both.
The cookies pictured use the measurements listed in the recipe. For a thicker, puffier cookie, reduce the oil to 2 tablespoons. For a flatter, crispier cookies, increase the oil to 2.5 tablespoons and bake for 10 minutes. You can replace the grapeseed oil with coconut oil, but make sure that the water is room temperature when you add it to the mixture.
Cold water will cause the coconut oil to solidify and you’ll end up with oil chunks in your cookie dough. Unrefined coconut oil will impart a coconut flavor in the cookies, so if you don’t want coconutty cookies, use refined coconut oil.
For an extra fancy cookie, replace the grapeseed oil with a high quality olive oil. The flavor really comes through and adds a unique flavor and tastes great with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon tapioca flour, or corn starch
- 2 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, or vegetable oil, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, or chopped chocolate or a combo
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat together both of the sugars, tapioca flour, grapeseed oil, and water with a fork until it thickens and resembles a smooth caramel.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix gently until almost combined but a few streaks of flour still remain.
- Add the chocolate chips and knead gently with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop the cookies out onto the parchment paper and press down on the tops slightly to flatten the cookies.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from PPK.com