I honestly never thought this Hot Apple Cider Cinnamon Spice Mix I posted would become very popular. I mainly posted it because I loved it.
But lo and behold — apparently you guys really go crazy for it during the fall and winter months. So I thought it was only fair to show you a delicious drink to make with it.
This is a modification for a recipe I’ve been making with my mom ever since I was little. It stems from an old Swiss children’s cookbook and was always a great way to use up all the freshly pressed apple cider my grandparents gave us from their farm.
If you’ve never been to a place where apple cider gets pressed (I mean, not a commercial industrial place, more like a commercial countryside “let’s do it outdoors” kind of place), it’s a really fun activity to do with kids!
I always loved going there with my grandpa. Apple crates and pretty swing-top bottles everywhere, basically everyone’s fall dreams come true.
The machinery looks quite impressive, and it’s a kid’s proudest moment to taste a little cider fresh off the press. Or at least it was for me.
Knowing what had happened from tree to bottle made this recipe even more fun for me as a kid, and I loved updating it a little to share with you!
A few suggestions for your slow cooker orange apple cider adventure:
You don’t have to make the large batch of spice mix for this if you don’t feel like it. (Though it does make a great holiday gift!) You can also add 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves and ground nutmeg.
You can make it on the stovetop instead of in the slow cooker. I just found the slow cooker to be super convenient if you don’t have stovetop space available, want to keep the cider warm for your guests or simply love coming home to the smell of comfort and joy :)
Feel free to mix up the juices! Cranberry instead of orange (or both!) would be really tasty as well, or even pear juice.
The really great thing about this recipe is how easy it is to scale up or down! If you want to, you can make a cup just for yourself. Or you can go grab the biggest slow cooker you can find and make it for a large party!
Whatever you decide, this is a drink that’s definitely happy-mood and coziness inducing.
- 6 cups apple cider, or unfiltered apple juice
- 2 cups orange juice
- juice of one lemon
- 4 tablespoons hot apple cider spice mix, *
- orange slices
- apple slices
- cinnamon sticks
- Place the apple cider, orange juice, lemon juice, sugar and spice mix in a 4 quart (or larger) slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve garnished with orange and apple slices and cinnamon sticks.
- Instead of apple cider spice mix, you can use 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves and ground nutmeg.
- Burger King Has Chicken Tenders for the First Time Ever
- What PDA Is OK Today — and What Isn’t
- Why You Should Never Sleep in on the Weekends
- The 25 Most Popular Halloween Candies in America
- 260-Layer Cake Breaks Guinness World Record