I've found that I always struggle with how to prepare pork chops. I almost always bake them with breadcrumbs in the oven. My mother in-law has been making this recipe for years and it's a great alternative to the traditional baked pork chops.
I recently found myself buying up a huge package of pork chops at Costco. They were $3 off and I couldn't resist. It was spectacular deal! When I started menu planning, I knew I didn't want to bake all these pork chops I just bought.
That's when I remembered this recipe for skillet pork chops, made special with lots of Italian flavor. I immediately sent a text to my mother in-law about the ingredient list. I had a rough idea but wanted to know the exact details.
She gave me just that... a rough idea on the ingredients. So I got to work in the kitchen and made the recipe a little bit of my own!
I love that you essentially make a sauce using canned tomatoes, fresh bell pepper and mushrooms. The secret ingredient is the herbes de Provence seasoning that is added to the sauce. Without this seasoning the pork chops are not complete. If you don't have this seasoning in your pantry, go buy it now for this recipe!
If you like a little kick to your food, we like to add in red pepper flakes. That's optional but we love it that way, and so does my feisty two-year-old!
If you’re looking to change up your dinner time routine I highly suggest you try my recipe for skillet Italian pork chops. They are sure to be a new family favorite!
You can serve the pork chops on a bed of pasta or if you’re trying to be healthy, on a bed of spaghetti squash. Either way - it's delicious!
- 4 thick cut boneless pork chops
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups multi-colored bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup baby portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon italian parsley
- Rinse and pat dry the pork chops.
- Season liberally, with salt and pepper on both sides. Set to the side.
- Heat a skillet with olive oil.
- Cook the pork chops on medium heat for 5 minutes, the flip and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Flip the pork chops again and add in the diced tomatoes, bell peppers, and mushrooms.
- Mix well and add in the herbs de Provence and red pepper flakes.
- Place a lid on the skillet and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften and the pork chops have at least reached an internal temperature of 145°F.
- Divide pork chops between 4 plates.
- Scoop vegetable sauce on top of each pork chop and enjoy immediately.