- One 5-ounce portion of bass fillet
- 1 teaspoon blended olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup thinly shaved fresh fennel
- 1 handful of fresh baby arugula
- 1/8 cup thinly julienned raw red beets
- 1 orange, cut into sections
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
Preheat a grill or grill pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Season both sided of the fish with olive oil, sea salt, and ground pepper
Place fish in pan skin side down on the hot preheated grill and cook for 4 minutes.
After 4 minutes, remove fish from grill and place on a baking dish add the fresh thyme and smashed garlic clove and 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil to the pan and baste the fish. Bake for 2 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and let the fish rest in the pan for 2 minutes before serving.
In a bowl add the fennel, baby arugula, orange sections, and julienned beets. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon of sherry vinegar, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Serve bass skin side up along with the salad and drizzle dressing from salad around the plate to serve as the sauce.