Salads are more than watery lettuce doused in calorie-filled dressings. They imply more than being yuppie citizens of the Starbucks tribe. “But they’re so bland,” they scream. “I’m scared of them,” you shout. But fear the greens no more. Your key to le perfect saladé is putting aside your unruly prejudice and realizing the salad’s true potential.
What better way to get your 2-4 cups of veggies a day than mixing them all up? A salad full of fruits and veggies will contain tons of fiber, which can help to lower your cholesterol and improve your digestive tract. For anyone watching calories, a satiating salad is your new BFF. Follow these simple steps to creating your own master salad!
1. Choose Yo’ Greens: Whether it’s Romaine lettuce, kale or spinach, they all provide you with excellent doses of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They also help to make you feel full and are fresh to the crunch, might I add?
2. Peppers and Carrots and Apples, Oh My!: Don’t be shy with the fruits and vegetables. It’s only you eating the salad; you’re going to enjoy it. Trying out different flavor complements, such as beets with apples or tomatoes with cucumbers might turn out to be your missing puzzle piece.
3. “Meat” Me At The Corner: If you eat meat, chopping up 3 ounces of cooked chicken breast,or throwing in some tuna salad will enhance your flavors and fill you up. A good protein alternative is meat’s chloro-filled cousin, the bean. Add a ½ cup of cooked kidney beans, chickpeas or any bean of you’re liking.
4. Toppings, Toppings, Toppings: “Froyo” is one big tsunami on American culture. There are at least 3 different places in every town, all with a focus on the toppings bar. If you’re so apt to add toppings to your froyo, don’t skimp out on your salad. Adding a handful of nuts, seeds and craisins will go a long way.
5. Undress your salads: Ditch the high fructose corn syrup salad dressing you have come to rely on. Adding any vinegar, oil (olive, coconut, etc.), lemon juice and some spices will transform your salad into a tastebud wonderland. If you’re feeling super risky, get some Dijon mustard or honey up in there.
Salads are all about being creative, like coming up with a good excuse to ditch your one-night stand. But seriously, start eating salads today. Your body will thank you.