- 3 Pounds ripe plum tomatoes, quartered
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, halved and quartered
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut up
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 5 Cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Teaspoons dried basil
- 1 Teaspoon dried parsley
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Cover a large baking sheet with foil. In a single layer, add the tomatoes, onion, and red bell pepper to the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes. After 30 minutes add in cloves of garlic.
In a large stockpot on simmer, add in the chicken broth, basil, and parsley.
When the tomatoes are done, carefully blend until puréed. If you need more liquid, add some of the warm chicken broth. Add to the stockpot and mix well while bringing to a high simmer (about 5 minutes).
Taste for any additional seasonings and serve.