Ukrainian East Village Restaurant
140 2nd Ave (btwn St. Marks Pl & E 9th St)
New York, NY 10003
- - , ,
- Not sure how often tango night happens here, but find out and GO! A uniquely beautiful scene. All ages dancing together cheek to cheek in the EV -- loved it!
- Velselka is boring compared to UEVR. The veggie shnitzel is delicious and the pierogies are also yummy. Get half and half either steamed of fried.
- Ukranian borscht... $3.50 for a bowl? Can't beat that! Delicious food, cozy atmosphere.
- Eastern European community center and restaurant better for the warm, comfy vibe than the food.
- This is where I go for blintzes and pierogies.
- Cheese blintzes taste like the East Village of bygone days. Each is filled with lightly sweetened farmer cheese & fried in butter until the edges are just crisp enough while the middle remains tender.
- Great cheap grub in a cosy dining room, like you're eating at grandma's house. The pierogis are good, so is the goulash and the breaded cutlet is delicious.
- "The sauerkraut pierogis came, with a little puddle of fried onions, a dense reduction, in their midst, and a paper cup of sour cream. Eyza, a connoisseur of pierogis, was impressed." --James Traub
- Order the compote drink in this quiet and hidden place.
- sauerkraut and mushroom pierogies, fried for 75 cents extra
- Came here with a massive group when Veselka was packed. The pierogi were amazing and the beer really hit the spot. A nice hidden gem that doesn't look like it's there from the outside.
- Tourist trap with bland food, unattentive service, and missing drink prices on the menu.
- The Ukrainian sampler platter is a full meal of stuffed cabbage, kielbasa and pierogies(vareniki). The restaurant is comfortable but the restrooms are downstairs.
- Varenyky. Get them boiled and stuffed like Christmas geese with seasoned potato or with mix of sauerkraut and mushroom.
- Borscht very sweet, combo platter w meat is good. Has some sort of stuffed cabbage that's delicious, and the dumplings are also delicious. Nice calm interior, like grandmas house
- I remember coming here for the stuffed cabbage. One with mushroom and the other with meat and was really great! So sad it's not on the menu anymore.
- German Dumplings - Grubstreet's #9 NYC dumpling
- , , , .