Valentine’s Day is all about showing you care: chocolate, flowers, stuffed animals and a level of PDA beyond your wildest nightmares. So with everyone else embracing (or hating on) the holiday, why not participate in the festivities from the moment the rooster crows? Whip up a batch of red velvet pancakes for the morning of the 14th, and show your significant other or yourself (cue Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies”) just how much they are loved. Because who doesn’t love pancakes, red velvet, or breakfast in bed?
I’ll be waiting for my tray to be delivered to me. Extra syrup, please.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup granulated sugar
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 large eggs
1 ½ tablespoons red food coloring
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup salted butter, melted
metal heart-shaped cookie cutter
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
2. In a large bowl, combine milk and vinegar. Set aside for two minutes.
3. Add eggs, food coloring, vanilla, and melted butter to milk and vinegar mixture. Whisk until well combined.
4. Slowly incorporate wet mixture into dry mixture, mixing constantly.
5. Grease an electric non-stick griddle (or frying pan) with cooking spray and set to medium heat.
6. Coat inside of cookie cutter with cooking spray.
7. Set cookie cutter on heated surface and pour ¼ to ½ inch of batter into mold.
8. After 30 seconds, remove mold from griddle using tongs.
9. Flip pancake once bubbles form on top and edges begin to look dry.
10. Dust heart-shaped pancakes with powdered sugar.
11. Garnish with raspberries and a sprig of mint and enjoy (whole, or broken…).