Smoothies are quickly becoming everyone’s favorite breakfasts, snacks, and post work out treats. Not only are they quick, easy, and portable – they are packed with fruits and vegetables that contain tons of healthy nutrients and fiber. But what about the protein? All too often smoothies lack the protein your body needs for energy and staying power until your next meal. Surprisingly, the answer you may be looking for can be found in tofu. There are 12 grams of protein in just 3 ounces of tofu and lucky for us it freezes great and can make a healthy addition to any smoothie. Just follow these simple steps to make tofu ice cubes for your next smoothie:
- Drain and rinse a 12 oz. package of Nasoya silken tofu.
- Add it to a food processor or blender along with a ½ tsp. of vanilla or almond extract. You could also add some frozen fruit, fruit juice, or any other flavoring you like.
- Blend it until smooth.
- Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze.
- Next time you make a smoothie, add 3-4 tofu cubes to the smoothie and you instantly add healthy, inexpensive, and much needed protein!
- 1 Cup orange juice
- 1 Cup spinach
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 whole peeled orange or mandarin
- 3-4 tofu ice cubes
- 1 splash vanilla extract