Here's a wonderful platter of vegetables, peppers, tomatoes, and flat mushrooms, stuffed with couscous, sliced olives, feta cheese, garlic, chopped mint, and pine nuts. It's baked in the oven, and served warm. This dish is incredibly fragrant and packed with Mediterranean flavors.
- 1 Cup couscous
- 4 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 4 yellow bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 8 flat mushrooms, stalks removed
- 1 Cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 Cup pine nuts
- 1/2 Cup pitted green olives, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2 Tablespoons roughly chopped mint
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Place the couscous in a bowl and pour over hot water, vegetable broth, or chicken broth just to cover by half a thumbnail. Leave to absorb.
Place the bell peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms in a roasting pan. Roast until just lightly softened, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Meanwhile, fluff up the couscous with a fork. Add the feta, pine nuts, olives, garlic, and mint. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix carefully. Spoon into the pepper and tomato halves and over the mushroom caps. Drizzle olive oil on top and return to the oven until the feta is just melting and the top of the filling is crusty, about 15 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil before serving.