This is a smoky twist on a traditional “Sloppy Joe,” served up mini-style on slider buns. I especially love the subtle sweet flavor that blueberry adds to barbecue sauce — who knew? Because it isn't bound in a patty, you can also sneak much more nutritious purée into this dish.
- 1 fresh or frozen onion, chopped
- 1 lean ground beef
- 2/3 store-bought barbecue sauce
- 1/4 tomato paste
- 1/4 vegetarian refried beans
- 1/4 baby food blueberry puree
- 1 -2 tablespoons water (optional)
- 8 small soft dinner rolls, preferably whole-grain, warmed
Add the onion and meat to a soup pot and cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the meat, about 5 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned and the meat is no longer red.
Stir in the barbecue sauce, tomato paste, beans, and purée. Mix thoroughly and heat through for 2-3 minutes, adding 1-2 tablespoons of water if a thinner consistency is desired. Ladle over warm rolls.