- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Black pepper, to taste
Heat the oil in a medium-sized nonstick saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and salt and reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, about 7-8 minutes.
Add the chipotle peppers, cumin, beans, orange juice, and water. Mash the beans slightly with a potato masher. Increase heat to medium and simmer until the mixture has thickened slightly, about 10-15 minutes. Just before serving, stir in the cilantro and lime juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.