PointsPlus Beef and Bean Chili Recipe
Great for entertaining, this chili recipe goes great with pita chips or thick slices of bread for dipping. Try serving this with some low-fat sour cream, cheese, or chopped jalapeño on the side.
*Note: To avoid skin irritation, do not touch seeds with bare hands.
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks medium-sized celery, diced
- 2 medium-sized cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced*
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium canned beef broth
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- Two 15-ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shallot, chopped
Coat a large stockpot with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
Add the olive oil to the same pot and set over medium-high heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion, celery, garlic, and jalapeño. Sauté until tender, about 4 minutes.
Add the reserved beef, chili powder, cumin, oregano, bay leaves, salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir to coat the vegetables and beef with spices. Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
To serve, discard the bay leaves, ladle the chili into bowls and top with the chopped shallots.